5/22/11

"Is it standing right here holding your hand"

I got pretty lucky with this one -- I already had a drawing of mine ready to use for this line.
Last school year I read Nicholas Sparks' novel, A Walk To Remember, for my English class. I also had to create a project to go along with it. We were given a variety of options to choose from for the type of project that we could do, and I didn't give it a second thought; I went straight for the "artsy" project choice.
Here's a little bit of background behind the picture I drew:
(^^taken from my "written explanation" that was required with the project)

Outside Reading Book Project - creative piece of artwork                    11/30/09
A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks  
Written Explanation:
In my creative piece of artwork, I drew a pinky promise to represent the everlasting love between the two main characters, Jamie Sullivan and Landon Carter. Jamie, a 17 year old girl, had leukemia; the hospital band around her wrist is a symbol of her illness. Landon, a 17 year old boy, is wearing a wristwatch that is ticking to symbolize that life still goes on for him. Unlike Landon, Jamie is not wearing a wristwatch. This is a sign that her time in life has run out.  
Jamie and Landon had fallen in love. Landon knew that day by day, the cancer was shortening Jamie’s life. Because of the little time that Jamie had left, Landon asked for her hand in marriage. The wedding ring on Landon’s finger shows that his love for Jamie will never die. Likewise, the heart-shaped locket, an actual piece of jewelry that I own, is a symbol for the love and remembrance of my friend, Aria, who also died of leukemia. The gold color of Landon’s ring and my locket is added to highlight the connection between the two. I wanted to bring attention to the special similarity of both the ring and the locket being the same color, because it is what connected me to the book. The locket is a symbol of not only my memory of Aria, but a token that gives me strength, reminding me of how strong she had to be when fighting her illness for many years. 

This was my first time drawing hands. 
It required a lot of patience,
eraser shavings
and hand cramps...

But the final look of the drawing was completely worth it.
I was so pleased with myself...
I think it's one of the best works that I've done. 


No comments:

Post a Comment